Town of Milton announces changes to Pay-As-You-Throw Program
Changes reaffirm town’s goal to reduce trash while fairly distributing cost of waste disposal
On March 27, 2019, the Select Board approved changes in Milton’s Pay-As-You-Throw program for trash. The changes reaffirm the Town’s goal to reduce trash while fairly distributing the cost of waste disposal. Under the new program:
- Households will be billed annually for trash and recycling pickup at a rate of $156/year. The fee will replace the annual trash sticker.
- In June and July, the Town will furnish one (1) black 35-gallon cart for trash to each household billed. These carts are slightly smaller than the recycling carts, in order to be accessible to the largest number of residents and encourage waste reduction.
- Like the Town recycling carts, these carts will be Town property. The Town will provide any necessary maintenance or replacement.
- Pay-As-You-Throw stickers will not be required in trash that is placed in Town carts.
- Pay-As-You-Throw stickers will still be available and required for additional bags or barrels of trash, and for bulky items.
- A discount is available for residents who will be at or over the age of 65 on July 1, 2019. An application form for the discount is available in the offices of the DPW, Town Hall, the Senior Center, and online at this link: Trash Fee Abatement Application. Please be prepared to provide proof of Milton residency and proof of age (Birth Certificate, Driver’s License, Passport, or other legal document containing date of birth and legal address).
- Households may opt out of the 35-gallon cart and trash bill. Households that opt out may still use $3 stickers to set out trash. You may opt out by filing an opt-out form with the Department of Public Works by June 1. The Trash Fee Abatement Application is available in the offices of the DPW, Town Hall, the Senior Center, and online. You must provide proof of residency to opt out, such as a driver’s license or recent utility or tax bill (within 60 days). If you do not opt out by June 1, the Town will provide you a cart and mail you a trash bill.
For more information:
The Town will also notify residents by mail of this program change. For the full press release and to read Frequently Asked Questions, please see the attached document here.