April 24 Select Board Update: East Milton deck, electronic voting, trash barrels & more
by Timika Downes.
Electronic Voting Machines in Milton Town Meeting
A small committee has been formed to explore the option of electronic voting machine use in Milton. Town meeting members are elected by the public and electronic voting methods allow for accurate and efficient voting. There are options for both leasing and buying the electronic voting systems – smaller towns leasing (for example Arlington) and other larger towns purchasing the systems. The committee is researching cost, effectiveness and other logistics around the implementation of these systems.
East Milton Deck Update
75% design has been submitted with 100% design to submitted in May. The project is on schedule, with a construction start projected into the Spring 2020. The federal earmark is 2.3 million, which, due to inflation has a present day price tag of $4 million.
Some changes to design include :
- Boulevard street bike lane moved due to safety concern – it has been redirected to the sidewalk for a short section of the road
- Two crosswalks on both Boulevard Street and Granite Avenue – allowing for better signalization and better vehicle storage while maintaining flow
- Sidewalks widened in multiple areas
- Basset street traffic counts performed, and traffic signal was added due to traffic patterns
Update to Trash Barrel Roll Out
On March 27th the Town approved change to pay as you throw system – to be replaced with a Barrel – 35 Gallon wheeled lidded barrel delivered to families in 3rd week in June. Opt out program has opened and approximately 1% of the Town has chosen to opt out.
The red weekly stickers will be available to anyone has opted out. The barrel is $156. Abatement process is open to anyone 65 years or older to pay $94 for the barrel. If you opt out, you will still be able to purchase the red weekly trash stickers for trash and bulk items. Stickers cost $3. If you choose to opt out, please opt out by May 31st.
- Item 16 – The board approved a re-appointment of the Animal Shelter Advisory Committee members through April 30, 2020
- Item 17 – The board approved the appointment of 5 Town residents to the Milton Village Central Avenue Revitalization Committee members.
- May 6th – Annual Town Meeting at Milton High School
- May 30th – Paper Shredding Day at the Council of Aging from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.