School Committee approves new face covering policies for New Milton Public Schools
At the August 26, 2020 Milton Public Schools School Committee meeting, new policies were voted on and approved.
A face covering that covers the nose and mouth must be worn by all individuals in school buildings, on school grounds and on school transportation, even when social distancing is observed unless otherwise directed by this policy.
Face masks must:
- cover both the nose and mouth
- fit snugly but comfortably against the sides of the face
- be secured with ear loops or ties (or elastic in the case of gaiters)
- allow for breathing without restriction
- be either disposable or able to be laundered and dried without damage or change to shape
The following face coverings are encouraged in Milton Public Schools:
- Surgical masks
- 2- and 3-layer cloth masks
- Face shields are permitted, but only in addition to a mask
The following face covering are not permitted in Milton Public Schools:
- 1 layer cloth masks
- layer neck gaiters
- vented masks (masks with exhalation valves
Individuals may be excused from the requirement for the following list of reasons, per CDC guidance:
If the individual:
- has trouble breathing;
- is unconscious;
- is incapacitated;
- cannot remove the mask or face covering without assistance.
In addition, masks or face coverings will not be required for anyone who has a medical, behavioral or other challenge making it unsafe to wear a face mask or face covering. Requested exemptions will be granted on a case by case basis after receipt of Milton Public School’s Face Mask Medical Exemption Form completed by a physician. Parents/ Guardians may not excuse their child from the face mask requirement by signing a waiver.
Face masks must be worn by bus drivers as long as they do not interfere with the health and safety of the driver.
Additionally, face masks or face coverings will not be required when appropriate social distancing is enforced:
- during mask breaks;
- while eating or drinking;