Girl Scouts expanded specialty recycling drive to take place Oct. 29 (Date change due to weather)
Saturday, October 29, 2022
12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
10 Harvard St, Dorchester Center, MA
Please join the 6th and Even More Expanded Specialty Recycling Drive
We’ll be accepting items below: please review care on how to prepare items.
- All Rigid Styrofoam!!!!
- Mascara Wands
- Empty Prescription Bottles
- Wearable and Scrap Textiles
- Egg Cartons
- Plastic Film
- Tyvek Envelopes
- Four Pack Beer Holder
- Towels and Sheets
- Clean Chopsticks
Newly Added Terracycle Items
- All brands of empty writing instruments, glue sticks, watercolor dispensers, paint sets, and flexible packaging
- Burt’s Bees
- Gilette (Any razor blade brand; any razor handles or packaging)
- GoGo Squeeze pouches (Any squeeze pouch brand — applesauce, yogurt, etc)
- Head and Shoulders bottles
- Late July snack bags
- Pantene bottles
- Royal Canin plastic dog food bags (no cans)
- Rubbermaid (Any brand of plastic or glass food storage containers; takeout containers are ok – Clean & Dry
- Terra chip bags- Clean & Dry
- Tom’s of Maine (ANY brand of toothpaste tube, deodorant, toothbrushes, mouthwash bottles, toothbrush packaging)
WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE ITEMS IF THEY ARE NOT PREPARED PROPERLY.
Bring your clean items listed below (please read details below carefully) and we will collect items curbside in a safe manner.
This is a one day only collection, so tell all your friends.
WHY are we doing this? NONE of these items can be recycled in our Single Stream Blue Recycling Bins which often times means they end up in a landfill or incinerated which causes Greenhouse Gases. This is entirely unnecessary as they can go on to have another life. Did you know that in the last year and a half of the pandemic 3.2 BILLION SINGLE USE PLASTIC GROCERY BAGS HAVE BEEN USED JUST IN MASSACHUSETTS ALONE despite so many bag bans!
We are Girl Scout Troop #68277 in Dorchester and we have worked hard over the years to change policy within Boston, clean our community and help others learn about sustainability and recycling.
This is something we can do today to help OUR future!
We will accept the following:
- Plastic Film* = Trex Will Become Decking
*plastics Must Be Clean, Dry and Free of Food and Organic Residue
- Single Use Grocery Bags
- Bubble Wrap
- Plastic E-commerce Mailers
- Produce Wrap (Think Carrots, Lettuce, Grapes, Etc)
- Ziploc and Other Food Storage
- Cereal Box Liners
- Dry Cleaning Bags
- Bread Bags
- Newspaper Bags
- Those plastic Amazon Mailers that are blue and white
- Does the plastic stretch? If so it is one we can accept.
Empty prescription bottles = recycled
- The containers cannot have any medications in them.
- Keep caps on
- Please bring any expired or no longer used medications to your local CVS or police station for proper disposal
Mascara Wands = Wands for Wildlife
- Clean in warm, soapy water to remove residual mascara and dry completely.
- Do not send if brush is frayed.
- Only send brush, no tubes.
Textiles = helpsy, reused and scraps for insulation
- any reusable clothing – they will be reused
- shoes – they will be reused
- any textile scraps – from sewing (please label these scraps as textile scraps on the bag)
Egg cartons = will be reused by Vermont farmers
- egg cartons – dozen and half dozen
All styrofoam must be clean and dry!
- All Styrofoam, That is Right!
- Including White and Those That Have Colors
- We Accept Styrofoam Peanuts in Bags
- All Rigid Styrofoam Packaging
- Clean Styrofoam Egg Cartons
- Clean + Dry Food-based Styrofoam
- Please be careful not to break it up and if you can, please bag it in a large plastic bag.
Cork – will be recycled
- Wine corks – Make sure they are kept separate from the other recycling.
- must be clean. Any type of Tyvek mailers only for now
Hope to see you there, please follow our guidelines and separate each category when you hand them off.
YOU MUST WEAR A MASK WHEN YOU ARE DROPPING ITEMS OFF!
We will ask you to pull up, unload and then move along, we will have helpers guiding traffic. You will want to be on 10 Harvard Street with the building on your right.Thanks to ReStore, Bill from Ag Hall for letting us host at their site, Star Market on Morrissey Blvd, Helpsy, Insulation Technology, Janelle Nanos