Milton’s 2016 Memorial Day Observance to feature presentation of Milton Veterans Challenge Coin
Attention Residents: This schedule is revised. Due to a forecast of heavy rain, the Memorial Day Parade will begin at the Town Green on Canton Ave. with marchers proceeding to the Council on Aging. All of the public program that had been scheduled to take place at Milton Cemetery, will now take place inside the Council on Aging.
Observance to take place Monday, May 30, 2016, Milton Town Green, 9:30 a.m.
Under the joint leadership of both Milton’s newly appointed Veterans Agent, Kevin Cook and Milton resident, Frank Stout of American Legion Post #114, details of Milton’s Memorial Day program are being finalized.
The Memorial Day Observance is scheduled for Monday, May 30th. Services are set to begin at the Town Green at 9:30 a.m. with the raising of the flag and placement of wreaths at the Town’s War Memorial by members of the American Legion Post.
Shortly after this ceremony, Legion members, Milton Police and Fire Department Color Guards and auxiliary members of these two departments, elected officials, boy and girl scout troops, will go to the Council on Aging (COA) building, 10 Walnut Street (NOT at Milton Cemetery, due to anticipated inclement weather).
Services at the Council on Aging will begin at 10:00 a.m. Welcoming remarks will be given by Paul McDonnell, Commander of the American Legion Post, a member of the Board of Selectmen and Cemetery Trustee, Joseph M. Reardon.
A special feature of this year’s observance will be the presentation of a Milton Veterans Challenge Coin to Milton’s World War II veterans. This coin has been newly commissioned by Milton’s Veteran’s Agent Kevin Cook and will be part of all future veterans’ observances. A challenge coin is a small coin or medallion (usually military) bearing an organization’s insignia or emblem. These coins have been part of military tradition since World War I.
This newly designed coin will be two sided with the Town of Milton’s seal on one side and the insignia of military branches on the other.
Any World War II veteran, who would like to receive a coin at the Memorial Day Observance, is asked to contact Kevin Cook at 617-898-4939.
Milton resident U.S. Army Major General Stan Genega (Ret.) will be this year’s keynote speaker. Major General Genega is a West Point graduate who served two tours in Vietnam and retired after 32 years of active service.
State Representative Walter F. Timilty will also offer remarks.
All residents, friends and family are warmly invited to the Memorial Day Observance which pays tribute to those men and women who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country.
As has been the tradition these past few years, ice cream will be available for children attending the services.
2016 Memorial Day itinerary
The American Legion Post #114 will begin this year’s Memorial Day program with the raising of the flag and the placing of the wreath at 9:30 a.m. at the Town Hall.
Following this observance, participants will go to the Council on Aging (COA) building, 10 Walnut Street.
Town Hall – 9:30 a.m.
- Placing of the Wreath at the War Memorial – Legion Members
- Raising of the Flag – Legion Members
- MHS Band – National Anthem
Council on Aging – 10 a.m.
- Introduction – Frank Stout, Legion Member (introductory remarks and introduction of Special Guests and keynote speaker U.S. Army Major General Stan Genega (Ret.)
- Greetings – Paul McDonnell, Commander of the American Legion Post #114. Joseph M. Reardon, Cemetery Trustee
- Invocation – Reverend Stephen Zukas, Administrator, Saint Elizabeth Parish
- Select Chorus & Band – Armed Forces Salute – Songs from all branches of the American Armed Forces (Select Chorus under the direction of Noreen Burdett and MHS band under the direction of both Rebecca Damiani and Gary Good)
- Welcome – Kathleen M. Conlon, Chair, Board of Selectmen
- In Flanders Fields – recited by Joanna M. Needham, MHS Junior
- Band Selection – National Emblem
- Introductory Remarks – Frank Stout, – Introduction to keynote speaker Major General Stan Genega (Ret.)
- Keynote Speaker – U.S. Army Major General, Stan Genega (Ret.)
- Coin Presentation by Veterans Agent (Kevin Cook) – WW II Veterans
- Placing of Wreaths – Legion Member
- Roll Call – Legion Member
- Volley / Echo Taps – Legion Member / MHS Student
- Flag Raising – National Anthem – MHS Mixed Chorus
- Remarks – State Representative Walter F. Timilty
- Benediction – Reverend John Allen, Pastor, First Congregational Church
- Band Selection – MHS Band
Be the first to comment on "Milton’s 2016 Memorial Day Observance, revised"