Every once in a while, we like to remind people of how to submit their letter/opinion, story, or local event to the Milton Scene.
How to submit your story or event to the Milton Scene:
- Please email your submission to [email protected].
- Please send your event info at least 10 days before the event date.
- Please send any written content in Microsoft Word.
- Please do not send fliers. The Milton Scene does not post fliers.
- Please do not format your content with different fonts, etc. We will be formatting your content to fit the Milton Scene’s template.
- When referencing event times, please use this style: Feb. 4, 2019, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- We recommend 600 words or less.
Photos and images:
- Please send your writing and images in separate files (do not embed an image in a PDF or Microsoft Word page).
- Please provide any related photos whenever possible.
- The standard size that we use is 777x437px. JPG or PNG file formats preferred.
- We will use as many of your photos as possible when posting your story. Please provide image source and please make sure you either own the image or it has a free license (e.g. Flickr FreeCommons or iStockPhoto).
Political candidacy introductions:
As a courtesy to public servants, the Milton Scene accepts political candidacy announcements for local elections. Political candidates located in Milton’s precincts 1-2 as well as state representative and state senate candidates for Norfolk, Plymouth and Bristol counties may submit their candidacy announcements. How to submit a candidacy announcement.
Letters and commentary should focus on an issue that directly impacts Milton – for example, traffic, public safety, schooling, etc. Letters and commentary that contain direct, personal attacks will not be published.
Guest blog posts:
The Milton Scene occasionally showcases local talent and expertise to its viewers through individual guest blog posts from health experts, home improvement experts, etc.
Objective of Milton Scene’s guest bloggers and commentators:
- Original Content: You must write your own, original content. Nothing “borrowed.”
Expertise: Guest expertise blogs should give the reader actionable advice. For example, a blog on gardening might provide advice as to how to deter deer from eating plants.
- Value vs. Self-Promotion: We understand that you’d like to promote your business or talent, but we will not publish content that only promotes your business. For information on promotional and sponsored posts, please see our advertising section.
- Talent: Artists’ and musicians’ guest blogs should showcase the artist’s work, emphasizing how this talent helps the Milton community in some way: For example, a local musician might play at a local non-profit in a free concert for the community.
The Milton Scene audience is closely linked to the Milton Neighbors Facebook audience. Both consist of many different groups of people. Some of these people include:
- Town activists: individuals who love Milton and voice their opinions about how they think Milton can improve.
- Homeowners in need of help: Milton residents who are looking to improve their homes by finding landscaping, home improvement, and other services
- Advice seekers: individuals who need advice on just about anything (preschools, traveling, recipes, etc.) from Milton’s very smart crowd.
- General recommendation seekers: individuals looking for recommendations for services ranging from gluten-free bakeries to hair stylists, plumbers to consignment shops.
- Activity seekers: individuals who are looking for events, camps, etc. that are happening in Milton and surrounding areas.
Guest blog topic approval:
Please make sure you clear what you are going to write about for the Milton Scene – before actually writing and submitting it.
Examples of topics that have performed well:
- How-to guides
- Solutions to common problems
- Bulleted lists (see this example)
- Examples of some high-performing posts:
Please limit any linked reference your personal blog or business website to one time within your blog post.You may also add a link to your personal blog or business website in the About you/Biography area below your post.
Please include your name, contact info (email, phone, website), and a short biography to be posted with your blog. You may also include a photo of yourself. Biographies subject to editing. You may also include a photo of yourself in order to personalize your writing. People love to see the faces of the person doing the writing!
Reposting policy: the Milton Scene permits re-publishing this content on your own blog. However, if you do re-publish, please use the following guidelines:
- Include a link back to the Milton Scene using this language:
- This article originally appeared on The Milton Scene on xx/xx/xxxx (date).
I will be formatting your content to fit within the blog, so please expect some changes. Please send me blog content in Microsoft Word. Images should be sent separately; please make sure they are the correct size.
- All blogs subject to editing.
- Readers love bullet points. Whenever possible, please use them.
- When possible, break up large blocks of text with headings.
- We recommend 600 words or less.
The Milton Scene schedules all guest blogs in the most efficient time slot possible. Guest bloggers may not determine the time and date of guest blog postings.