The Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum to host tours of the historic Lyons Turning Mill on Oct. 19 for Archaeology Month
The Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum will be participating in Massachusetts Archaeology Month with tours of the historic Lyons Turning Mill remains and artifacts scattered around the mill site. The Lyons Mill site is the only remaining remnant of Quincy’s rich granite history. Photos and interpretive information and artifacts will be on display.
Massachusetts Archaeology Month began in 1992 as Archaeology Week and has been expanded to Massachusetts Archaeology Month and now is a month’s long celebration of archaeology in Massachusetts and around the world. Museums, libraries, archaeologists, and many more people and institutions will be joining Secretary of State Galvin and state archaeologists in hosting exhibits, lectures, walks and events for adults, children and teachers.
The Quarry Museum will be open for viewing. The Museum takes the visitor on a walk through the granite history from the geology of Quincy’s granite and the first quarriers in Quincy, the Native Americans, to the end of the granite industry in Quincy.
The Quarry Museum’s activities at the Lyons Turning Mill will be on Saturday, October 19th, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and a rain date of Saturday, October 20th. The Lyons Turning Mill is located on Quarry Hills Drive off of Ricciuti Drive, West Quincy. Directions from Curry’s Hardware, Copeland Street, proceed under expressway, stay to right to stop sign. Proceed across exit 8 ramp onto Ricciuti Drive to end and right on to Quarry Hills Drive. Turning Mill will be 100 yards on left.
For information call the museum at 617-472-1322 or visit the museum’s web site at www.quincyquarrymuseum.org