Milton Public Schools inclement weather policy, 2020
From the Milton Public Schools website.
Below is a reminder about how we approach inclement weather at the Milton Public Schools. Snow days are a necessary part of life in the northeast and the better we manage them as partners, the more successful our winter will be.
The safety of students and staff is paramount and we do not want to have students, parents and staff on the roads when the conditions are unsafe. In
addition, we need to be sure our sidewalks, crosswalks and buildings are ready for our students and staff to have a safe and successful school day.
Before and during inclement weather, I consult with the relevant town departments, MPS administration and superintendents from neighboring
districts. I also monitor weather forecasts, including those provided by the Town of Milton. At times, the decision is clear and we are able to call a
snow day the evening before school. Often, however, the forecast is difficult to predict with any certainty for Milton and those decisions are best made
in the early morning (by 5:00am). When we experience inclement weather, there are three options that I consider: a full school day; a 2 hour delay;
complete cancellation of school.
If we have a full school day, the day will proceed as a regular day with breakfast, Before School, after school activities, etc. all taking place. Please
be aware that even with a full school day, there can be traffic delays for our buses due to weather.
If we have a 2 hour delay:
- Your child’s school day will start 2 hours later than a regular day.
- MHS – 9:50 start and dismissal at 2:19. MHS will be open for arrivals starting at 9:35.
- Pierce – 9:57 start and dismissal at 2:26. Pierce will be open for arrivals at 9:40.
- Cunningham/Collicot – school will start at 10:20 and end at 2:49. School will be open for arrivals at 10:05 am.
- Glover/Tucker – school will start at 10:50 and end at 3:19. School will
be open for arrivals at 10:35.
- Busses will run on a 2 hour delay, please be aware that some busses could be running behind as they navigate the snow.
- There will be no Before School program or before school activities at any school.
- After School Enrichment, after school activities and evening school based activities will proceed as planned.
- There will be no breakfast served at any school.
- Lunch will be served at every school.
If school is cancelled due to inclement weather:
- All after school and evening activities will also be cancelled.
This school year, we will be utilizing the Remind app system for bus delay notifications. Families are invited to join the messaging system for the
specific route(s) their student(s) ride and can join more than one route. All details on opting in to Remind can be found on the MPS Transportation
page. Please email email@example.com with any questions.
When possible, we will communicate the decision to cancel or delay the evening before school. When the forecast dictates waiting until morning, we
will communicate the decision to cancel or delay by 5:15 am. Please refer to our website, as well as check your email and voicemail as we will
communicate this news via email, phone and website.
Please have plans ready for your children in the event of either a delay or cancellation in the case of inclement weather.
Please have plans ready for your children in the event of either a delay or cancellation in the case of inclement weather. I appreciate your patience and understanding this winter as we work to make the most informed decisions on behalf of MPS students, families and staff.
Mary C. Gormley
Superintendent Milton Public Schools