How to sew a mask: Milton Neighbor gives detailed instructions
For adult masks: two 9 x 7″ fabric pieces, two elastic pieces, 6-1/2″ each
For children’s masks: two 7 x ” fabric pieces, two elastic pieces, 6″ each
If you don’t have elastic, you can use four 15″ tie/ribbon pieces for adults or four 12′ pieces for children.
- With right sides facing in, put fabric pieces right side together and sew each of the long sides.
- Turn right side out and iron flat.
- At each unfinished short end, turn under approximately a half an inch and iron flat:
You are now ready to sew in elastic pieces or ties! 😃😃
- At the top of the short end insert your elastic or tie, and sew 3/4 of the way down.
- At that point on the short side, insert the other end of your elastic or a second tie.
- Turn and sew 1/4″ finishing edge of long side.
- When you have almost reached the corner of the long side, insert second elastic or third tie:
- Sew over third tie and to corner and turn securing elastic/tie:
- Repeat same as other short side sew 3/4 of the way down, insert other end of elastic or fourth tie, turn the corner and sew long side.
- You now have the base of your mask, with both elastics or ties sewn in. Here is what it looks like before pleats:
- Hand fold three approximately half inch pleats, iron down one at a time and pin:Pleat 1:
- Now all pleats are pinned:
- Sew down pleated edges with seam sewn closely to first. Repeat on other short pleated side, removing pins as you sew:
- VOILA! You are finished! Nicely done!