2020-2021 Milton Public Schools bus registration due June 12
All Milton Public Schools students who plan to ride the bus – whether free or paid – must register by Friday, June 12.
All families planning to have student(s) ride the bus in the 2020-2021 school year MUST register to ride regardless of ridership in the 2019-2020 school year. Ridership from the 2019-2020 school year will not be rolled over. Each student must be registered INDIVIDUALLY. Students who ride for free based on their grade and distance from school MUST register as well.
Refunds for 2019-2020:
As part of the registration process, families who paid a bus fee this year will have their refund of $90 per rider or $180 family maximum credited toward their bus fee for the upcoming school year unless a check refund is requested in the registration link. Additionally, families can request credits from students not riding in the upcoming year be credited toward siblings in the registration link.
Due to the uncertainty regarding social distancing guidelines that may be in place at the direction of Governor Baker and DESE for fall 2020, fees to ride the bus will NOT be collected at this time. Once guidelines have been implemented, students will be assigned to bus routes in accordance with the Governor and DESE direction and bills will be emailed over the summer to families who are required to pay a fee to ride.
At this time, in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws governing school transportation, the Milton Public Schools provides free bus service to and from school for all students in Kindergarten through 6th Grade who live two miles or greater from their assigned school. Using Google Maps, the remaining seats are sold on a FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVED BASIS. The fee to ride for the 2020-2021 school year is $275 with a family maximum of $550. When the buses are full we will generate a waiting list. Please note there was a waiting list in the 2019-2020 school year on many bus routes and many MHS/Pierce buses were full prior to the close of registration. Registering to ride the bus prior to June 12th DOES NOT guarantee a seat on the bus. Additionally, per MPS policy, any student with an outstanding Food Services bill greater than $20.00 is not allowed to register for any fee-based program (including bus service) until that balance has been paid off. Families with students entering grades 6 and 9 will be required to complete residency re-establishment online prior to being issued a bus pass
Bus registrations will be processed following these guidelines unless we are directed to do so differently by State officials over the summer.
Please note, bus assignment policies may change for the 2020-2021 school year if social distancing policies are enacted for public schools.
- Registration will open at 8am on June 1st online at Bus Registration 2020-2021
- Bus Registration will close at midnight on Friday, June 12th.
- Completing registration prior to the close on June 12th DOES NOT guarantee a seat on the bus as spots are filled on a first come, first served basis for students in grades Kindergarten to sixth grade living less than 2 miles from their assigned school and for all students in grades 7 to 12.
- Registrations received after June 12th will be placed on the waiting list and processed beginning the week of September 21st on a space available basis.
- Families with more than one bus rider will need to register each child individually.
- Food services balances of greater than $20 must be paid to complete bus registration. Please register and then email [email protected] if settling the food bill at this time is an issue.
- Families with students entering Grade 6 or Grade 9 must complete residency re-establishment online in June in order to be issued a bus pass
Current Fee Structure:
(to be billed in August when guidelines are clear for bus ridership from the State)
- Students in grade K to 6 living more than two miles from their assigned school: No bus fee
- Students in grade K to 6 living less than two miles from their assigned school and ALL students in grades 7 to 12: $275 with a family maximum of $550.
- Students who qualify for Free or Reduced lunch: No bus fee.
Bus fees where applicable will be due in August and families will be notified by email regarding bills. Fees can be paid online at the Unibank Link found on the MPS website or by check. No bus passes will be mailed to students until required fees are paid. Additional information regarding a payment timeline will be shared over the summer as the guidelines for bus ridership are determined at the state level.
- Use the Bus Registration 2020-2021 link beginning June 1st at 8 am to sign up for transportation.
- Updates regarding bus assignment, waiting list placements or changes in the Milton Public Schools transportation policies as well as bills for transportation fees where applicable, will be shared by the Superintendent’s office over the summer as details are provided by Governor Baker and the DESE.
Students will not be permitted to ride the bus without an active Bus Pass for the 2020-2021 school year and will be required to present the pass to board the bus. Riding the bus is a privilege with the expectation of good conduct and respectful behavior. Students riding the bus without a valid 2020-2021 bus pass will be subject to disciplinary action. Inappropriate behavior on the bus may result in the revocation of bus privileges without refund of bus fee paid.
Please email Director of Transportation Rachel Schewe at [email protected] with any questions.