A Valentine’s Day gift for the whole family
During Christmas 2020 – in the middle of the pandemic (to clarify, we always seem to be in the middle of the pandemic) and missing the gym, I asked Santa for the workout Mirror – and he delivered. I am still very happy with my gift and use it almost daily.
What is the Mirror, exactly?
The Mirror is a fitness device, which looks like a huge mirrored iPhone, that allows you to stream live and on-demand workouts from the comfort of your own home. It takes up very little space and it’s a beautiful full-length mirror when not used for working out.
In other words, you could put it up in a living room or a bedroom and nobody would know it doubles as your “gym.”
Here’s how it works:
Your Mirror is delivered and installed by a professional. They will either mount it to your wall using a wall mount system, or mount it so that it is at an angle, using only a single screw.
You need a WiFi connection in order for it to work and the installer won’t leave until it is fully set up and working.
You then download the Mirror app and connect it to your phone, ipad, etc. You can add up to 5 people on one account so your family can track their own progress on the app.
There are a huge variety of workouts and some require basic essentials like handheld weights, resistance bands, and a mat.
- Small. It’s literally the size of a full-length mirror.
- Attractive. It looks like a regular full-length mirror and is very unobtrusive in a bedroom, living room, etc.
- HUGE variety of workouts and new workouts added daily. Workout categories include:
- Family fun
- Personal training – additional fee
- Strength – with weights, bands, or body weight
- Tai chi
- Choice of workout length options from 5 to 60 minutes.
- Live workouts – about 25 live workouts daily starting at 5:00 a.m. It’s pretty neat when you get a shout-out from the instructors and is also great for simulating that in-person feel.
- Option to turn on your camera so instructors can advise on your form during the live workouts.
- Personal training available, using the built-in camera, for $40 per session.
- You can change the workout music to your own preference, right in the app.
- Control the volume of the music and the volume of the instructor separately.
- Track your heartbeat, etc. with your Apple watch.
- Connect with friends who own a Mirror for a little friendly competition or encouragement!
- Use the Mirror workouts even when you’re not in front of the mirror, for an on-the-go workout.
- You can share the Mirror app with up to six people.
For me, the biggest pros are the massive variety of workouts with different lengths (5-60 minutes) and the different music options.
You can literally do a new workout every day for all of eternity, or you can repeat favorites.
If you repeat favorites, the music is never the same and they have different channels of music to choose from.
I also love being able to use the app without the mirror when I am traveling.
Here’s a quick video of the app, showing the workout options, filters, and more:
- Sometimes, I miss the in-person experience and camaraderie of a gym (shout out to Milton’s fine gyms!).
- $39/month fee (still a lot less money than most gyms and your first month is included for free)
- Does not work with my FitBit but it does work with the Apple Watch and other bluetooth trackers.
The biggest con for me is missing gym workout buddies. But with the pandemic being here for the foreseeable future, many folks (including me) are not comfortable going to a gym.
Plus, with winter en route, it’s nice to be able to work out at home.
Right now, the Mirror is offering a huge deal of $450 off the original price.
Save a a total of $650 using this special code:
If you use my special referral code* (my code is meliR4tQ) you will save an an additional $200 off the current promotion of $450 off.
*Because this is a referral link, you will save $200 off in addition to the current promotion, and I will get 3 free months of Mirror workout membership.