The Milton Scene guest blogger policy
The Milton Scene occasionally showcases local talent and expertise to its viewers through individual guest blog posts from health experts, home improvement experts, etc. We reserve the right to edit any submission.
At this time, each guest blogger is permitted one guest blog every three months (once per quarter), as long as the blog is in line with the policies below.
If you wish to guest blog monthly, you will need a Milton Scene Premium Business Membership.
Our website gets over 50,000 hits per month, ranking high in Google searches. Additionally, each story is shared to our email list and our social media outlets, which means your content and your name will get a great deal of attention.
Objective of Milton Scene’s guest bloggers/writers and commentators:
- Original Content: You must write your own, original content. Nothing “borrowed.” The content cannot consist of a blog or news article that has been written and posted elsewhere online.
- Expertise: Guest expertise blogs should give the reader actionable advice or content of value specific to the Milton community – without needing the guest’s services. For example, a blog on gardening might provide advice for how to deter deer from eating plants.
- Value vs. Self-Promotion: We will not publish content that only serves to promote your business. By posting valuable content, you are also practicing the art of attraction marketing for your business.
The Milton Scene audience is closely linked to the Milton Neighbors Facebook audience. Both consist of many different types of people. Some of these people include:
- Town activists: individuals who love Milton and voice their opinions about how they think Milton can improve.
- Homeowners in need of help: Milton residents who are looking to improve their homes by finding landscaping, home improvement, and other services
- Advice seekers: individuals who need advice on just about anything (preschools, traveling, recipes, etc.) from Milton’s very smart crowd.
- General recommendation seekers: individuals looking for recommendations for services ranging from gluten-free bakeries to hair stylists, plumbers to consignment shops.
- Activity seekers: individuals who are looking for events, camps, etc. that are happening in Milton and surrounding areas.
Generally we do not accept guest blog posts from individuals outside of the geographic area unless the topic is super specific to Milton, MA.
Guest blog topic approval:
Please make sure you clear what you are going to write about for the Milton Scene by sending us an email – before actually writing and submitting your post.
Examples of topics that have performed well:
- How-to guides specific to our town and audience
- Solutions to common problems specific to our town and audience
- Bulleted helpful how-to’s specific to our town and audience (see this example)
- Examples of some high-performing posts:
Guest blog writing requirements:
- You may not mention your or any business in the content of the guest blog post, except for in the bio: your guest post can include a short 50 word bio and an email address or link to your website, at the end of the post.
- Guests posts cannot contain any links, except for contact information in the bio.
- You are fully responsible for writing the entire content of the guest post.
- The content of this post must be original and cannot occur in any other online location.
- Your guest post cannot be changed once it is posted live.
- Limit one image per post. Image may not contain any text or branding. Business logos are not permitted in guest blog post image.
- Guest blog posts have a 400 word limit.
- Guests posts must be of high editorial quality and are subject to editing.
- Posts are scheduled in available slots. You are not permitted to dictate the guest blog posting date.
No links are permitted in the post except for at the end. You may add one link to your personal blog or business website in the About you/Biography area, which is located at the bottom of your post.
We do not permit affiliate or backlinks in guest blog posts.
Your biography is located at the bottom of the post.
Please include your name, contact info (email, phone, website), and a short biography to be posted with your blog. You may also include a photo of yourself. Biographies subject to editing. You may also include a photo of yourself in order to personalize your writing. No logos permitted.
Reposting policy: As long as no more than 10% of the article’s words are posted verbatim, the Milton Scene permits referencing this content elsewhere online. If you do reference, please use the following guidelines:
- Include a link back to the Milton Scene using this language:
- This article originally appeared on The Milton Scene on xx/xx/xxxx (date).
We will be formatting your content to fit within the blog, so please expect some changes. Please send blog content in Microsoft Word. Your image should be sent separately. The size is 777×437 px. Each guest blog story comes with one image and that image cannot have any text or logos on it.
- All blogs subject to editing.
- Readers love bullet points. Whenever possible, please use them.
- When possible, break up large blocks of text with headings.
- We recommend 600 words or less.
The Milton Scene schedules all guest blogs in the most efficient time slot possible. Guest bloggers may not determine the time and date of guest blog postings.
How to submit:
Email us with your suggested topic, any questions, or submission: [email protected].